Sunday, July 29, 2012

The effects of Cartoon Violence on Children: Fact or Fiction???

I drew this picture for my job, it was actually a poster letting everyone know that we were having a Halloween party. Some of my artwork does have blatant violence or kind of hints around it, this one is a perfect example although it there is no violent act. I mainly do it because for some reason it is the edgy stuff that catches the attention  of the audience no matter what age. For the most part if I could be honest, it is the first thing that comes to my mind. People like to tell me that apparently I am angry about "something". Is it that? Or is it the tons of horror movies I have watched over the years? Or, maybe it is the violent cartoons I was exposed to  right?

Looney Tunes was my favorite cartoon of all time growing up, it is also one of the most violent amongst countless others that appear to be innocent. It is said that violent cartoons are part of the reason for aggressiveness and violence in children. So is that really the case? Let me see, so it isn't the bloody, machete driven horror movies we have out today? It isn't a violent home perhaps or maybe even aggressive parents? When was the last time we heard of the fact that a machine gun shooting manic, or axe waving sociopath that committed a brutal murder say that they did it because of cartoons...???



STATISTICS:

  • 90% of children from violent homes witness their fathers beating their mothers.
  • Abused children are arrested by the police four times more often than nonabused children.
  • The overall youth homicide rate dropped in 1997, but the rate among small town and rural youth increased by 38 percent.
  •                             Two-thirds of Hollywood films released in 2001 were rated “R.”
  • Nearly 75 percent of violent scenes on television feature no immediate punishment for or condmendation of violence.
 
                              http://www.yellodyno.com/html/violent_kids_stats.html




The level of violence during Saturday morning cartoons is higher than the level of violence during primetime. There are 3-5 violent acts per hour in prime time, versus 20-25 acts per hour on Saturday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment