Saturday, September 15, 2012

The Notorious Ban of Sugary Drinks in NYC

My favorite characters of all time "Nik & Mike", cartoon I created while in college. the characters have a changed a little as well as the story line. Picture depicts them protesting something, to a certain extent I was making fun of myself. "Pebbs" is actually me, my friends and family call me that for short. I wanted to have a lack of color in this picture to give it more of a late 1960's feel to it.


It is not a huge secret that obesity is a huge issue in the United States. Fast food is readily available, we all have become so busy and engulfed in our jobs we barely have time to cook or exercise. Children no longer want to go out and ride their bikes or play "Hide N Seek" but would rather stay home and play video games or surf the internet. 
 
 Mayor Michael Bloomberg, has made it a point to ban large sugary drinks over 16 ounces in public places in New York City. He came to this decision of course because of the high obesity rates. So is  banning large sugary drinks in restuarants, cafeterias, and concession stands really going to lower the obesity rates? Sodas, iced coffees loaded with sugar, and frappuccinos are not the only thing that is leading to the high obesity rate. In fact it is only a small fraction of it. What about fast food, lack of exercise, cable television? It is amazing how many channels we can now get, of course wouldn't that be a distraction from exercising?
 
People are going to do whatever they want to do regardless. Anyone can easily grab a two liter of soda and drink that at home, amongst other foods that they can indulge in. I am not a fan of soda or sugary drinks, but I do think that people should make their own choices and we should not make it for them. Someone drinking a lot of soda does not affect anyone else. It almost reminds me of  State Seatbelt Laws. If someone decides not to wear their seatbelt, it only hurts them and no one else.
 
Personally I think we should focus on other more important things rather than sugary drinks, but that is just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment