Thursday, August 16, 2012

Normal is the new boring

"I think being different, going against the grain of society is the greatest thing in the world. Elijah Wood"


Being a black girl who listened to Bush, Filter, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Our Lady Peace in the 90's, and in the south,  made me stick out like a sore thumb, along with my alternative way of dressing. Some people made my life miserable and often I was teased. I hated it and often did not want to get up to go to school. Every day I would ponder telling a lie and saying I was sick yet knowing I would have to back to school the next day anyway. But I was told one day, that the only way you are going to be happy is if you just be yourself. I realize now how hard it is growing up and to be bold enough to not conform to what people at school want you to be, or what society wants you to be. I guess in my case I crossed the line with because I wore my Oasis and Soundgarden T-shirts proudly. Imagine how uncomfortable I would of been if I had done what everyone else wanted me to?

Usually people that are insecure, are the ones that do the bullying and teasing. I have learned to say screw everyone else, and do my own thing, whatever makes me happy no matter how weird it makes me look.

It drives you nuts as a kid but as you get older, people respect you for being yourself. Love yourself, embrace yourself, BE YOURSELF.

Music by Christina Aguilera




STATISTICS:
  • An estimated 160,000 US students miss school each day due to fear of attack or intimidation from peers.
                     (National Education Association, 1995)
  • 9 out of 10 LGBT teens have reported being bullied at school within the past year because of their sexual orientation

No comments:

Post a Comment