Monday, August 27, 2012

The Importance of Voting...IN MY WORDS

THE IMPORTANCE OF VOTING
 
Picture depicting women picketing for their right to vote in the early 20th Century.
Obama... Romney... the finger pointing.. the bickering. Which one do we choose??? I know sometimes election day and days leading up to it can cause some confusion and annoyance for others. Often times I hear people say how they don't vote, dont want to vote, how their vote doesnt count, that it doesn't matter.  I just wanted to say why I really take advantage of election day, and my freedom to vote as a black woman. I honor and appreciate the long hard road American women had to travel so that we could have our right to vote.  I often think about the risks that black Americans and white Americans took so that black people could have their right to vote without intimidation. I think about Womens Suffrage which took place from 1848-1920. During the Civil Rights Movement, many Americans risked their lives and were beaten, marched went to jail, and toiled so that we can have the rights that we have today. I realize it, I get it, I understand that, and I do not want their hard work to be in vain. Thank God for these brave men and women, black and white, who fought for our civil rights. If they were not courageous enough to fight for our rights, then how would things be today.
 
There is no excuse for not voting, if that right was taken from any of us, we would feel awful.
 
VOTE
 


No comments:

Post a Comment